Good morning! What a great way to start off my day with a yummy recipe. This potato toast was inspired by an instagram story post by whole foods. Their sweet potato toast variant inspired me to give it a try. But there were a few issues.
The first thing was I hated sweet potato. I have since childhood and so does my mom. But my dad and brothers love them! Second, I didn’t have any sweet potatoes in the fridge. But what I did have was regular white potatoes which I love and so I used it instead. So I gave it a try.
The last issue was we recently threw out our toaster. I researched online to see other ways I could prepare it. As it would turn out, we can do it in the oven as well. Here’s a tip I learnt and will pass on. Make a large enough batch and freeze it. Then you can reheat it either on the stove or oven. If you don’t have a toaster or toaster oven of course.
I started with by cutting the tips and slicing the potatoes a quarter inch thick. You don’t want to make the slices too thick or else it will take along time to toast. Or it won’t toast well at all. So be mindful of your slice size. Another tip I cannot stress enough, preheat the oven ahead of time.
When I decided to make this the first time, I thought I was going to do it in a fry pan. But After I saw someone doing it in the oven and freezing the rest, I wanted to try it. I didn’t preheat the oven and as you know, it takes a long time. So please do this ahead of time if you decide to use the oven.
I would have never thought to use potato to make toast. These potato toasts could make a good crunchy sandwich image grilled cheese would be amazing. I guess this mean that this will be my first installment in a potato toast recipe saga. For now, topping them with scrambled eggs and sausage will just have to do.
Remember to subscribe to keep up to date. Tell me what is your favourite potato creation in the comments section.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 medium potato or sweet potato
- 1-2 eggs
- 1-2 sausages or ground sausage
- Salt and pepper
- herbs (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 410 degrees or a toaster oven at 450 degrees.
- Cut the tends off the potato on each side.
- Slice the potato a quarter each thick. It makes it easier to toast
- Arrange the potato slices on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minuted until the potato is brown.
- In the meanwhile, cook your sausage and scramble the eggs to your desire. Add herbs, salt, pepper and cheese if you wish.
- Once done, remove the potato toast from the oven, top with with the eggs mixture and serve warm.