Good morning! It’s time for breakfast. Here’s a bit of truth, I’ve been hesitant in having breakfast lately. That’s because I end up frying something or the other which, in truth I didn’t like doing. So I’ve decided to cut back on how many times I fry food which is mostly during breakfast anyway.
While searching for breakfast ideas, I came across a recipe for egg butter on dietdoctor.com. If you’re a low carb eater or want to be, this website should be your first stop. After reading how simple the recipe was I decided to make it for breakfast today. It was my first time ever making egg butter but it was so easy that I couldn’t possibly mess it up.
The next ideas was what I was going to pair it with. I haven’t made any low carb bread in months. What I did have was plantains. I love plantains, especially the green ones that are slightly less low carb. However, I never have more than one plantain per meal. I decided to take half of a green plantain, slice it thin and baked in the oven. What came out were delicious green plantain chips.
I always look for creative yet simple recipes and this one is no exception. I added one ingredient to the recipe and that’s mayo. It only made the egg butter creamier which I loved! It was really great with the green plantain chips but works with bread as well. If you decide to make this, send me picture or tag me on social media so I can see your creation.
Easy egg butter with baked green plantain chips
Serving 1 Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
Green plantain chips
- ½ or 1 whole green plantain (depending on how much you need)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter (I actually used 1½ tablespoons instead)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp mayo (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree
- Slice the green plantains as thin as you desire. Sprinkle with salt and oil, mix it all together
- Grease a baking sheet and place the plantain on it. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or less until the plantain has crisped up and are golden brown. You may want to keep an eye on the them so they don’t burn (one of mine did)
- While the plantain bake, place a small pot with water over medium high heat. Place the two eggs in. Let the eggs boil for a few minutes until it’s hard boiled
- Once the eggs are done, remove and place them in room temperature water. Once it’s cool enough, crack the shell, remove the eggs and place them in a bowl
- Add in the butter, mayo, salt and pepper. Use a fork to mash the ingredients together until it’s all smooth and well combined.
- Place the green plantain chips on a plate and serve with the egg butter. Enjoy!
Please note that this dish is best served warm