It’s been a while since I’ve posted any recipes. The truth is, it’s been a while since I’ve made anything good. Yesterday I was making dinner just for myself, so I decided to make something delicious and incredibly easy. In a previous post, I talked about breadfruit and the different ways to cook it. Today, I’m sharing another great weeknight dinner recipe with breadfruit. This time, with oven fried chicken.
When cooked, the breadfruit is similar to freshly baked bread with a potato-like taste and texture. You can also fry, baked or eat it is. You can even cook it in soup (with the skin off of course). Which makes it a perfect side dish for any breakfast, lunch or dinner meals.
When I roast a breadfruit, I make breadfruit chips. This is the first time I had it with oven fried chicken. I can’t believe it took me this long to make the connection. I guess after years of eating fried chicken with french fries, my judgement is clouded.
Oven fried chicken is one of my family’s favourite meal. It’s my favourite way to make fry chicken. The chicken is extra crispy just like regular fried chicken and tender to it’s core because it’s baked. With only 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil to grease the pan and that’s it! No greasy mess or vat of oil to make it. I always make it with oat flour, chickpea flour or combine both flours.
Oven fried chicken with baked breadfruit
I really enjoy how quick, easy and delicious this was to make. Oven fried chicken is one those things that I’ll just keep making. It’s a healthier version of pan fried chicken without the vat of oil. If you like fried chicken and fries, then make this recipe. And please, tag me on instagram so I can see your version. That will really make my day. I hope you enjoy it as well.
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp oil (I used coconut oil)
- spices of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- medium breadfruit, roasted
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees, grease a baking sheet and add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to coat the pan.Place the pan in the oven to heat up.
- In a bowl, add flour, spices and seasonings as you normally would when making fried chicken.
- Mix it together and begin adding chicken piece one at a time. Dust off excess flour and place on a plate. Once you've coat all chicken piece in the flour mix, add the chicken back to the flour once more, coat in the flour and dust off the excess.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven then add the chicken to the pan piece by piece carefully (don't burn yourself). Return the pan back to the oven and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Remember to turn the chicken at the halfway mark.
- While the chicken bakes, peel the roasted breadfruit from it's skin, remove the center (the heart of the breadfruit) and slice it lengthwise to your desired thickness. Season with salt, pepper and a tablespoon of oil. Rubbed it all together then set aside.
- When the chicken is halfway done, place the breadfruit on the same or separate baking sheet and place in the oven. It takes about 20 minutes for the breadfruit to crisp or become golden brown. Turn the breadfruit slices when it's halfway done.
- Once the chicken and breadfruit is done, remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Serve with any condiments and veggies you'd like.
Please remember to pay careful attention to the breadfruit. Because it's already cooked and sliced, it will burn easily. If you're new to roasting breadfruit, I'd recommend watching some youtube videos about it first. The visual lessons helps better than just reading about it.