Last week, I shared a post about how I used cassava flour to make bread. Since then, I’ve been experimenting with what other things I can make with cassava flour. The result have been tremendous. I absolutely love cassava flour now. It’s truly the perfect whole foods flour alternative for me. I’m pretty sure it’s considered paleo too (I’m not on the paleo diet). But this flatbread sandwich is a game changer.
Since doing the keto diet for two months and paleo for a while, I realized one very important thing. That the best thing you can do for yourself is NOT to diet but make healthy eating your new way of life. Why? Because it will become a habit for you to choose healthier choice most of the time and become a long term living choice. I educated myself about the type of food that’s better for the body without completely altering my way of life.
I have used a variety of low carb, paleo, whole foods flours and have made the conclusion that oat and cassava flour are indeed the best choice for me. Texture wise, both flours have their strong suits. Oat flour is great as breading for meat such as fried chicken or chicken fried steak (that I normally do in the oven anyways).
Cassava flour texture
Cassava flour is a bit lighter, while it does make great breading for fried chicken, oat flour gives it a crunchier crust. However, cassava flour is a perfect ingredient in making pizza crust, cupcakes, pancakes and breads such as this one.
The flatbread sandwich was literally so easy to make and versatile. You can spice it up with herbs if you want to. The recipe is a very good base for other breads such as parathas, naan, tortilla and tacos. So get creative and look out for more of my delicious creation.
Make this with whatever filling you wish, I just used what was in my fridge. So really have fun with this recipe and remember to tag me on social media if you make this. I feel blessed seeing your creations.
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
Yields 2 flatbreads
- ½ cup cassava flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of water (you may need an additional ¼ cup if the dough isn't wet enough)
- Butter for frying
- herbs and spices (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 sausage (or your choice of meat)
- 1 plum tomato
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Choice of cheese (optional. I love using Cheddar)
- oil for frying (I always use coconut oil)
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add water and knead together. The dough is very easy to knead but should be moist enough to form into two balls.
- Place one of the balls between two pieces of parchment paper (or plastic wraps). Roll the dough out, you can roll it into a circle or square if you wish.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium low heat. Add in butter and make sure the pan is properly coated with it. Place the dough into the pan and cook on one side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and continue cooking.
- Remove the flatbread from the pan and cook the other one. Once the second flatbread is done, add the oil to the pan and fry the sausage and eggs.
- Remove the eggs and sausage and drain on paper towels. Assemble the sandwich, take one end of the flatbread and fold it over the other. Repeat with the second flatbread and enjoy.