This delicious cheesy coconut cauliflower and chicken dish, was inspired by my mother’s cheesy chicken and penne pasta recipe. The very first time we ate this was after she returned home full time after years of working in the hotel industry in the Cayman Islands.
She learnt so much and I was so eager to both learn and have her back home for good. I had pasta dish for the first time. The coconut milk and cheddar cheese made this dish special. We would always blend our own milk as well as grate our own cheese to keep all the ingredients fresh.
But now things are different. Because of all the starch and indigestion. I eat low carb now and I wanted a way to recreate this favourite dish of ours into a low carb keto friendly dish. Let’s just say, my dad wasn’t suppose to have any and he ate my mom’s share. It was that good! Eating healthy never tasted so good and I ended making it the next day for our whole family.
It just goes to show that healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring or tasteless. It’s about using your imagination to turn your favourite dishes into a more nutritious one. Cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable. Its used for so many different recipes such as rice, pizza, risotto and lasagna. I think it’s time for me to get a little more creative.
Maybe my next recipe will be a cauliflower noodles lasagna. But I’m not sure about the pizza crust yet. Just not sold on the idea of it as others have. Comment below and share more cauliflower recipe. I’d love to hear from you. I hope if you try this recipe you’ll tell me what you think about it.
Cheesy coconut cauliflower and chicken
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 whole green and red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp butter
- A sprig of dried thyme (1 tbsp)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and any other seasonings of your choice. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool. Once cooled, cut the chicken up into strips or cubed and set aside
- Prepare your cauliflower by cutting them into florets. Place a pot of water over medium high heat and let it boil.
- Place the cauliflower in a broad sieve colander and steam for about 2-4 minutes (any longer and it will be too soft to cook in the coconut milk.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add the coconut milk and let it boil for about 5 minutes. Add in butter, thyme, seasoning, green and red bell peppers. Let it simmer for no longer than 5- 10 minutes
- In the meanwhile, grater your cheese with a hand grater or food processor. I always prefer to grater my own cheese
- Pour in the cauliflower and chicken. Stir until the cauliflower and chicken are combined then cook for 5 minutes. Reduced the heat to medium low, top with cheddar cheese and cover with lid to allow the cheese to melt.
- Turn off the stove and serve with more cheese to your desire.
This recipe calls for you to grate your own cheese. You can substitute cheddar for mozzarella or your choice of cheese. It might change the texture. The cauliflower shouldn’t be over steam or else it will be too soft and watery when it’s being cooked in the coconut milk.