Ok first of all… YUM!!! I just love this flexible coconut flour flatbread recipe that I got on Anna’s kitchen youtube channel. Yesterday I used it to make delicious pancakes, adding cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Today I decided to take this recipe and add something else… CHEESE!
That’s right. I used the original recipe and put cheddar cheese in the center of the bread. While it’s cooking, spoon out some of the ingredients. Then I added a slice of cheddar cheese and this is cheese I sliced myself. Then spoon the mixture back on top. At this point, you can cover the bread with cheese. There you have it, this was so delicious that I took a bite to show you what the insides look like.
I used to eat cheese bread in school all the time. It feels good to enjoy it in a healthier way with coconut flour. I can do it in a non-stick pan or the oven and get the same result. It’s great as a sandwich bread or by itself. I loved watching making the bread that I couldn’t wait to try it myself. I really didn’t know how it would turned out.
Therefore be careful when spooning out the batter and If you aren’t, it can spill leaving you with nothing to cover the cheese center. If it gets a little messy, don’t worry about it because the cheesy flavour will still be amazing. My favourite has to be the cheese filling. My only wish is that I could’ve tried it with a spicy pepper cheese. Or any pepper at all, otherwise it made a nice contrast to the cheese such as monterey jack cheese. Finally a coconut flour recipe I absolutely love.
If you like this recipe, leave a comment below and share your feelings about it. Happy cooking!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda (or apple cider vinegar your choice)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk (or any milk of your choice)
- A pinch of salt
- Cheddar cheese (either whole or shredded)
- Butter for frying
- Sausage (ground or links. Any meat you prefer)
- Two slices of tomato
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl, break open the egg and mix with a spoon
- Add in coconut flour, baking powder and soda/ vinegar, milk and salt. Mix all the ingredients together. The batter might seem a bit runny so you can do one of two things. Either wait to see if it thickens up due to the coconut flour, baking powder and soda. Or add a half or whole teaspoon of coconut flour. The batter will appear fluffy either way and that's what you want
- Place a pan over medium heat and add in butter and let it melt
- Pour in a tablespoon of the batter each. Spread it out and let it cook for a minute
- Spoon out some of the mixture in the center and add the cheese. Top the cheese with the rest of the mixture and continue cooking until golden brown
- In the meanwhile, place another pan over medium heat and cook your sausage or other meats if needed. My sausage needed to be cooked further
- Gently flip the bread and continue cooking. You’ll notice that the bread looks fluffy and that’s due to the baking powder and soda. Continue cooking until this side is also golden brown
- Remove from the pan onto paper towel. You can store it in the fridge and heat it up later or serve it with mayo, tomatoes, more cheese and your meat. Enjoy!
This recipe makes two medium sized flatbreads. I don’t include any nutritional facts anymore because the recipe varies depending on the brand of products you use. So if you make this, you can work out your own nutritional facts.