When I was a child, I would climb to the top of the trees in my yard with a book in hand. Most of the time, I read books involving adventure or mysteries. When I started to read my mind would sometimes wonder off, deep into the story and this was the same with movies.
I would instantly start imagining myself with the main characters. We would go on exciting adventures trekking through the Sahara desert or diving into the depths of the ocean. But the one thing that excited me about the story was being in a new place and doing something I never did before.
Now that I’m older, I want travel to be permanently part of my life. Making those fantasies a reality (minus the dangerous bad guys coming after me of course). I started to think about where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I asked myself what aspect of travel best fits me? What’s my wish list for travel? Then it slowly hit me. I sat down in front of my laptop and began creating a wish list that best fits my style and way of travel.
This list will of course grow the more I travel and become exposed to the world. Now if you’ve read my previous post about slow travel and why I prefer it then you know my ideal style of travel. This list compiles some very important things I’ve wanted to do since I was a child. So without further ado, my travel wish list includes:
- trekking through Costa Rica’s rainforest
- Hiking up to the Machu Picchu
- Scuba diving around the world- from the great barrier’s reef, the Bahamas all the way to Belize
- Spending time in Switzerland’s villages- trekking up the mountains, taking photo tours
- Exploring India- the temples, small villages and customs
- Visit Provence in the south of France
- Exploring Santorini Greece
- Visiting ancient Mayan ruins in Mexico and diving in cenotes (underwater caves)
- Exploring Tuscany and other Italian villages. Enjoying the food scene (and exam ways to make low carb versions… should be interesting)
- Discovering Asia’s countryside and villages
- Going into the outback in Australia
- Go to carnival in Brazil!
- Touring London
- Exploring the various ruins in the city of Rome
- Visit the Eiffel tower in Paris
- Stay in Atlantis the palm hotel and tour Dubai UAE
- Go on an African safari
- Camp out in the desert in Egypt
- Visit the ancient city of Petra in Jordan
- Discover little coastal and mountain towns and villages around the world
- Etc- meaning the list continues
So as you can see, my style of travel is a slow pace adventure based travel. I don’t know what it is about nature. Maybe it’s the fact that I grew up most of my life in the city of Kingston surrounded by mountains and lived in the countryside for five years. I love being close to the city but I also love being surrounded by nature. I guess I’ll spend the rest of my life finding a good balance between the two.
But one thing’s for sure, even with all that’s going in the world, I’ve learned to be cautious when I’m traveling instead of constantly afraid. Fear can cripple you in ways that can distract you from your dreams. However, all we can do is prepare ourselves for the worst case scenario, do our best and finally, take the leap. Dream dreams, travel, explore, imagine, be mindful, dare to be different, dare to break the status quo, but most importantly, dare to be the person you want to be.