I got up this morning craving to make something different for breakfast. So, I started scouring the internet for great low carb breakfast recipes. This recipe was inspired by a bacon and eggs variant I found on Low Carb, So Simple food blog. It looked so delicious but I had one dilemma, I HAD NO BACON! I had bologna and decided to make a breakfast bologna and eggs stuffed with cream cheese.
It came out perfect! But I made one other change to the recipe. Originally, it doesn’t use the egg yolks but I decided that wanted to use them. So I added the yolks to the cream cheese and it worked great. I also cooked it at a less time than the original recipe because I didn’t want the bologna to burn.
Presentation was key. The images that I saw were very beautiful. I think I did pretty good under the circumstance. It’s always best to work with what you have. If I paid too much attention at what I didn’t have then this recipe would not have happened. Trust me when I saw, it’s sometimes better to improvise.
few important tips if you decide to use bologna.Be as gentle as you can. Bologna is prone to breaking easily. The more you try to get a grip, the more it breaks. Take it one step at a time as you fold it over. Remember patients is best. If you can, use bacon. It’s longer and definitely preferred for wrapping the egg. But as I said, use what you have or want. What’s important is the yummy outcome, which is far greater than the presentation. I saw make this for a gathering and wow them with your skills.
This was a delicious, filling breakfast and I hope you give it a try. Go for it!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 slices of bologna (I used chicken bologna)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
- In a small pot , add water and place the two eggs in. Boil until the eggs are hard boiled for about 10- 15 minutes (you can do this overnight and keep the eggs in the refrigerator)
- Take two slices of bologna and cut it in half, keep aside
- Remove eggs and place in some room temperature water to cool down and stop the cooking process.
- Remove the egg shells. Cut the eggs in half and spoon out the yolks
- In a bowl , combine the cream cheese, coconut oil, dried thyme, egg yolks and salt (to taste). Beat together with a hand mixer or a whisk
- Spoon the yolk cream cheese mixture into the hard eggs white. Take a piece of bologna and wrap it around the egg. Use a toothpick to hold it together and place on a lined baking sheet (I used aluminum foil but parchment paper works well). Repeat the process until eggs and mixture is done.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the bologna has crisped up
- Remove from the oven and serve with lettuce
Depending on the oven you’re using, keep an eye on the bologna so that it doesn’t burn. If you think the mixture doesn’t have enough cream cheese, you can add up to 2 ounces of cheese depending on how many eggs you’re making. Enjoy!