I absolutely love to cook. Ever since I was little and used to watch my mom cooking in the kitchen. I couldn’t wait for the chance to make my own creations and now I can. With this Italian caprese chicken recipe.
I’m Jamaican but I love cooking international food. One of my favourite type of food is Italian. Now that I eat low carb, I don’t eat pasta anymore. I’m not really sad about it because I’ve found many substitutes for pasta in almost ALL the Italian cuisines that I love. But this one is a first for me. I have never made Caprese Chicken before and decided to give it a go and used this opportunity to make my first time.
I did a simple table setting for dinner for a family of four. It’s nothing big but it was still great and if you want, you can go ahead and try making your own. Everyone was so surprised when they walked in. I don’t think I ever did this for them before. The look on their faces made my day. All of the work that went into this was really worth it.
I didn’t do too bad for my first attempt but I will make some improvements the next time. One example is I wasn’t able to find balsamic vinegar. I’m not sure if I’d use it though. I heard it’s really sweet and I have cut sugar out of my diet extremely. A small sacrifice for losing weight and getting healthy.
Anyways, this was a huge hit for my family and I hope it’s the same for yours. Remember to tell me what you think in the comments section. Share your take on this recipe or one similar to this. I love learning new interesting was to make yummy food.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts and set aside.
- Put a Large Sauté Pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (or has reached an internal temp of 165°F).
- While chicken is cooking, in a Medium Sauté Pan / Medium Sauce Pan (I didn't have a bigger sauté pan) over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and continue sautéing until tomatoes skin starts to soften/wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Set aside.
- Once chicken has reached desired doneness, top the tops of each chicken breast with 2 slices of mozzarella. Pour tomato mixture on top. Cover pan with lid once more and let the mozzarella melt, about 1-2 minutes.
- You can drizzle on 1-2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and serve immediately!
The original recipe calls for balsamic vinegar but in the video, I omitted it. The reason for this is balsamic vinegar can carry as many as 3 gram of carbs by tablespoon. So I decided that I wanted to leave it out. But if you want, you can drizzle on 1-2 tablespoons. Because I doubled the recipe, I had to cook the chicken in two batches. I really didn’t have a large enough pot to do all 8 pieces together. I added the first batch back to the pot before topping with the mozzarella cheese and tomato mixture.
Nutritional Facts: Calories 253 Calories from Fat 156; Total Fat 17.4g; Saturated Fat 7.0g; Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 349mg; Potassium 429mg; Total Carbohydrates 9.0g; Dietary Fiber 2.2g; Sugars 4.8g; Protein 17.6g; Net Carb 6.8